Avoiding a personal accident for each of your family member is very important at home. Usually, we use a variety of electrical appliances in our everyday lives when we clean or cook. Overlooking basic electrical safety practices can lead to accidents, injuries, fires, and even deaths. Keep the following tips in mind to safeguard your family from electrical hazards.
- Many household items require a SAFETY Mark to indicate they comply with specific safety requirements before they can be sold locally. Do make sure that you always check if it has a SAFETY Mark before purchasing one for your home.
- Always follow the appliance’s installation and user manuals.
- Ensure that your electrical appliance is first switched off, before unplugging it from the mains.
- When connecting or disconnecting electrical appliances, hold the plug instead of the cord to prevent damage to the cord, which could expose the live wires.
- If your appliance has damaged or frayed cords, stop using it immediately and get the cords replaced.
- Overloading wall socket outlets can cause fire hazards. Consider installing additional ones if needed.
- Always engage a licensed electrical worker to perform all electrical installation, maintenance and repair work. Make sure to check the worker’s credentials.
- Keep liquids away from appliances and wall socket outlets to prevent short circuits. Do not handle electrical appliances with wet hands.
- Keep heating appliances, such as kettles and irons, out of the reach of children.
- Ensure installation and maintenance of appliances are carried out by qualified service personnel. The appliance manufacturer should be able to provide recommendations.
- If you suspect your appliance is malfunctioning, get qualified service personnel to inspect the item.
A closer look at some common household products
- Set cooking times correctly to prevent food from overheating and catching fire. Never leave them unattended when in use.
- Check the instruction manual for safety warnings and recommendations on proper use. For example, do not heat water or other liquids for too long and refrain from cooking nuts and eggs in shells as they may explode.
Coffeemakers and kettles
- Ensure the lid is securely closed when they are in use to prevent spillage that may cause burns.
- Never leave such appliances unattended when in use.
- Ensure that the surrounding area is kept dry, and that cords are kept neat to prevent them from tipping over.
- Use an iron only for its intended purpose and never leave it unattended while it is connected to the mains supply.
- Always disconnect a steam iron from the mains before refilling the container with water.
- Always disconnect the iron from the mains supply after use.
- Prevent clogging by cleaning the hob regularly to remove food spillage.
- Beware of causing damage to the glass surface if using a glass-topped gas hob. Hairline cracks will worsen with appliance use, eventually resulting in shattering.
Insurance Market offers a wide range of general insurance products (such as travel insurance, maid insurance, personal accident insurance and more) online and life insurance through personal advice from our qualified brokers. Please contact us at [email protected] or +65 69081811 if you have any questions.