Transfer Maids are Popular
A “Transfer Maid” is a domestic helper that changes employer while already working in Singapore. For a new employer there are several benefits to hiring a “Transfer Maid” over a new inbound helper, notably speed, cost and experience. Getting the work pass organised is quicker, costs are lower and given she will have experience, it is to be expected that only minor training will be needed. All great benefits if you need a helper urgently and you are short on time.
Transfer Maids are therefore popular, which means that you probably also need to pay them a little more than newbies and they may be more demanding about other employment terms as well.
Use Agency or DIY?
To hire a transfer maid you do not necessarily need to use a maid agent. You can DIY it and find a Transfer Maid on Helpermatch (a free matching service of Insurance Market), which allows you to set specific requirements for you new helper. You can save more money by doing the administrative process yourself as well.
If however you are busy and prefer someone doing it for you, then helpers.sg can help you from as little as SGD 280.
If you have enough time and decide to go low cost and do it yourself, these are the steps:
- First check your eligibility to hire a domestic helper on the MoM website.
- Find your new helper on Helpermatch and sign the contract (also facilitated by Helpermatch)
- Ensure that you have attended the Employer Orientation Program (EOP)
After you have found a candidate, but before you apply for the work pass you also need to check:
- That your helpers passport is valid for at least another 6 months
- That she meets the eligibility criteria (e.g. no older than 50)
- That her current work permit is valid for at least 4 more weeks
- That she is current on her 6 monthly health check
- That the current employer signs a “letter of consent” (download form from Helpermatch)
- That the current employer does not cancel the current work permit
You can now start the Ministry of Manpower (MoM) application process online. All the information you need is stored in your Helpermatch file, which comes in handy. After you submit, MoM will generally approve within a week and send you a “In Principle Approval” letter with a “SB transmission number”. You add these numbers to your Helpermatch file and proceed to buy Maid Insurance. You can choose from different coverage levels with different insurers.
You then sign and submit the Declaration Form provided by MOM upon approval upon which the helper can move to your house.