Millions of households in Singapore employ the services of a maid, whose duties include cleaning and taking care of children, as stated by the MOM (Ministry of Manpower). Hiring a domestic helper is a big decision and employers should familiarize themselves with the relevant processes and laws before getting started. You can either employ someone who is already in the country and working for another family (transfer hire), or you can find a maid who is currently overseas.
In both cases, you can either rely on an employment agency in Singapore to find candidates for you against an agency fee, or you can undertake a direct-hire and take charge of the process yourself.
Hiring directly for a maid is much cheaper than a maid coming from agencies, and it gives you more control over maid selection and the hiring processes. You can also save from 500 up to $2000 of agency fees. But in spite of this, you will be responsible for completing basic requirements to process the legal required of your domestic helper.
Here is the basic process on how to hire a maid in Singapore without the assistance of any agency:
- You must first meet the set of requirements by the Ministry of Manpower (MOM) in Singapore such as:
- You must be 21 years old or above
- You are not an undischarged bankrupt
- You have the mental capacity to fully understand and discharge your responsibilities as an employer
- You must possess the financial capability to hire, maintain and upkeep the domestic worker in an acceptable accommodation
- You have to attend the Employers’ Orientation Programme (EOP)
Once you have ensured that you are eligible to hire a domestic helper, you can start your search for the right maid. You can search for a maid through Online or by speaking to your friends, relatives, and colleagues about their past experiences with domestic workers.
Ensuring the eligibility of domestic helper is important. You need to ensure that the domestic worker fulfills MOM’s maid eligibility requirements. The domestic helper you hire has to be:
- Female between the ages of 23 to 50 years old at the time of application
- From approved source country including maids from Indonesia, Bangladesh, Cambodia, Hong Kong, India, Macau, Malaysia, Myanmar, Philippines, South Korea, Sri Lanka, Taiwan, and Thailand.
- Unrelated to the employer and employed at your home address as stated on your NRIC
- She must be certified with the Settling-In-Programme if this is her first time seeking employment as a domestic worker in Singapore.
The interview process is essential to finding the best household worker for your family, whether they are in Singapore or abroad.
Apply for their maid work permit in Singapore through Online. Along with this, you need to check with your domestic helper’s embassy in Singapore whether any additional documents or procedures are required from the sending government.
Applying for a maid insurance. However, before you apply for maid insurance, you will need to obtain the In-Principle Approval letter.
Read more about maid insurance
The following proper procedure is very important for hiring domestic helpers but the procedure involved is often long and time-consuming. When you are hiring directly, you need to first understand the whole process so that you do not make any mistakes.
Hiring through an agency is helpful if you do not want to handle all the paperwork process. And as for insurance, do check out Insurance Market for policy comparisons and wider choices for your foriegn domestic helper (fdw) or maid online.