Over 230,000 foreign maids work In Singapore. Over the last years, rules have been revamped to better protect the maids. Employers or Maid Agencies are mandated to provide better (Personal Accident) insurance for their maid(s). As a consequence, Maid Insurance premiums are expected to rise between S$7 and S$15 from 1 October 2017.
Why are changes to the Personal Accident coverage needed? If an accident happens then the maid is no longer able to provide for her family back home due to rising living standards there.
What are the changes for personal accident insurance for foreign maids?
- The Personal Accident coverage should be at least S$60,000 instead of the current S$40,000 according to Minister of State for Manpower Sam Tan at a May Day carnival for maids organised by the labour movement.
- The period of insurance cover for maids also changes as follows: from the date a maid arrives in Singapore till the date the helper returns home at the end of their employment contract.
- When a maid changes employers, the existing insurance coverage should last until the day the new work permit is issued.
- Currently, the level of coverage is not the same amongst Singaporean Insurers for Personal Accident for Maids. From 1 October, the coverage will be standardised amongst the insurance companies to ensure that all the maids benefit for a better protection. The last change to the level of protection is almost 10 years ago in 2008.
- “From 1 October, The Ministry of Manpower (MOM) will stipulate that Personal Accident insurance for foreign maids must cover any sudden, unforeseen and unexpected incident that results in permanent disability or death. Insurers will not be able to impose exclusion clauses other than what the MOM specifies, such as pre-existing conditions and suicide.”
Minister of State for Manpower Sam Tan:
“We trust that these changes will further facilitate a harmonious working relationship between employers and their foreign domestic workers (FDW)”
The website of the MOM will publish the updates rules later on this year. We will keep you updated on the changes for Maid Insurance.